The Architecture of Microstrategy:
MicroStrategy is one of the BI application software. It supports a collective dashboard, highly detailed reports, ad-hoc queries, as well as Microsoft Office integration. It also supports mobile BI. With the help of this, we can connect with any data such as big data, flat files, social media data, etc. It offers a spontaneous way to create and modify BI reports.
- This can connect with existing enterprise apps and systems.
- It is a useful tool for solving big data-related problems.
- This provides features for mobile analytics.
- It allows us to directly access a database with in-memory.
- It can provide advanced and predictive analytics items.
- To get in-Depth knowledge on Microstrategy you can enroll for a live demo on Microstrategy Online Training
The architecture of Microstrategy:
This Architecture builds with a three-tier structure. The following diagram shows the MicroStrategy Architecture.
The First-tier consists of two databases. They are
It can contain the users analyzing information. That information is generally stored at the data warehouse using an extraction, transformation, and loading(ETL) process. The online transaction processing(OLTP) is the main source of the ETL process to get original data. The different number of data warehouses can contain one metadata project. And one project can have more than one data warehouses.
Excel your career through Microstrategy training.
This provides information about your Microstrategy projects. Metadata is like an index to the information. It stores in your data warehouse. The MicroStrategy system uses metadata to know information about the data warehouse. And also it stores different types of objects to access the information. The metadata contains a database, metadata repository i.e used to separate your data warehouse.
The second tier consists of Microstrategy Intelligence Server. This is the main part of the Microstrategy system. This server always must run to provide the users to get information from the data warehouse. With the help of MicroStrategy Web or Developer, we can easily get the information from the server. It generates reports. Those are stored in metadata across a data warehouse. And also it passes the results of reports to the users.
Finally, the third-tier consists of Web or mobile Server. It delivers the reports to a client. The Microstrategy Web client, Library Client, Desktop Client provides documents and reports to the users.
Various objects in MicroStrategy:
Microstrategy provides different types of objects that appear in the system layer. Most of the reports have specific business objects. Those objects are used to get collective data from the data sources.
The below diagram shows the various objects.
The Administration objects include things such as users, database instances, database login IDs as well as schedules. If we login to Microstrategy developer as an admin, then we will get an administration option at the secure enterprise. After opening this option we see various objects. It looks as below diagram.
The Administration objects have four sections. They are
It provides various objects and also allocates clusters to the projects.
This helps in identifying the status of the Microstrategy environment. It contains the below options.
- Jobs control the currently executing jobs.
- User Connections Monitor the number of user connections at a given time
- Cashes controls the number of cashes and their sizes.
These are used by the admins to manage the Microstrategy users, It is used to handle the following user configurations. Those are
- User authentication uses to allow the user into the environment.
- User groups allow a number of users to assign a specific privilege.
- Privilege is used to provide features that are available in the environment.
- User permissions are used to allow or disallow the use of a specific object.
Schema Objects are the logical view of the structure of the data warehouse. These objects are using during the creation of the Microstrategy project. If you want to see the schema objects, then login to Microstrategy developer as administrator. Then first click on the Schema object option. The following screen shows the various schema objects.
The Schema objects contain the following things.
- Facts are the numeric values. They can be used to represent the value of some business data.
- Attributes represent the granularity of data in the facts table. They show detailed data to the business.
- Hierarchies represent the relationship between various values. They help in bring out drill-up and drill-down analysis on the data.
- Functions and operators provide various mathematical functions and operators in Microstrategy to apply calculations to the data.
- The table represents data in tabular form.
- Transformations are provided data transformation features that are used for time-series based analysis of the data.
These objects are build from application objects which are used for the business scenario. These objects provide the set of data for the user reports. As well as shows the relationship between the different data elements. To get the report object, first, open the report and click on the report object icon as shown below diagram.
In this example, we have three reports attributes. They are
- The Category attribute showing the category of the products sold.
- Region attribute shows the region of the products sold
- The year attribute contains two matrices objects such as profit and revenue.
Features of MicroStrategy:
The following are the MicroStrategy features:
- We can use it easily as well as provides self-service.
- It offers the highest user capability.
- It contains a plug and plays components.
- This contains the highest report scalability as well as the highest data scalability.
- With the help of this, we can format grid reports using a range of built-in styles.
- It allows us to convert tabular reports in the form of graphs as well as charts.
- This allows us to export in MS-Excel, HTML or text formats.
In this article, I have explained about micro strategy and its architecture as well as its objects. I hope this article gives information about the need for MicroStrategy nowadays.